HALLSVILLE, TEXAS was first settled in 1839. It is located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 80 and Farm Road 450, approximately twelve miles west of Marshall in southwestern Harrison County. The city of Longview is located about 10 miles west of Hallsville.
From 1869 to 1872 the town was the terminus for the railroad, and the railroad company built a general office and machine shops there. The community incorporated for the first time in 1870 and was a boom town, with as many as fifty businesses, in the early 1870s. Hallville shipped cotton, wool, and hides. In 1872, when the Texas and Pacific acquired the railroad and built out to Longview in Gregg County, Hallville lost much of its western trade. In 1873 the railroad moved its local headquarters and shops to Marshall. A bank opened in the community in 1909. In the 1920s the post office changed the spelling of its name to Hallsville. The community reincorporated in 1935.
The unemployment rate in Longview is 4.40 percent(U.S. avg. is 6.30%). Recent job growth is positive. Longview jobs have Increased by 1.68 percent. Compared to the rest of the country, Longview's cost of living is 15.10% Lower than the U.S. average. The city features three school districts: Longview ISD, Pine Tree ISD and Springhill ISD along with several private schools.
The Hallsville community is pleased with their low cost of living and abundant recreational, educational and cultural opportunities.Over the past few years Hallsville has also enjoyed a surge in housing growth. New subdivisions are popping up and it is a great time to buy or sell in Hallsville, Texas.Searches other areas in and around Hallsville
Read about other East Texas Towns
Kilgore, White Oak, Gladewater, Hallsville, Gilmer